This is the final episode of Season 1. Season 2 is coming early 2020.
Breaking podcasts down into seasons, in my opinion, is a great way to podcast. The end of a season gives you a natural break and a chance to consider what has gone well, what needs to change and to understand where the industry is going. You give yourself thinking space and avoid getting stuck in one format forever.
Why we did a podcast
Podcasts are such an interesting medium. Our main purpose for doing podcasts was to link us to a much bigger and wider audience. This was made more appealing with the barriers to entry being really very low.
How we do the podcast
To podcast all you need is a microphone and a recorder. Good audio is key.
Here, we use audio editing software, Adobe Audition. Matt records through the Rode podcasting microphone into the Zoom Handy H6 and then uploads to Podbean. Podbean then notifies Apple and all the other platforms that we are on, that the podcast is live.
Our lessons learned
Batch processing. We got caught out in the last episode of Season 1 when Matt got sick and we didn't have it pre-recorded. Having a few episodes recorded at a time will help you stay on top of your publishing schedule.
The Kuriosity Podcast has featured guests, coaching calls and some podcasts with just Matt talking. To add another voice and some fun, we started doing news items with Sadaf. This proved to be a good move.
Why podcasts are good even for eCommerce businesses
Here are a few reasons you need to get out there and do it:
- The least busy medium at the moment
- Popular medium because they grant easy access to listeners wherever they are - driving, working out, walking, doing chores, the list goes on.
- Being voice only means that the barriers to entry are much lower - especially if you don't like to be in front of a video camera
- Podcasting valuable content around the topic of your website will connect you to a wider audience and help drive traffic to your online store.
- Content creation becomes a whole lot easier. From a single podcast, you can aid your marketing efforts by creating a blog post and social media posts for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin etc. It's a great way to get exposure and to educate potential customers.
Top Tips for Podcast
- Batch process a few episodes at a time to stay on top
- Break up the podcast with additional voices
- Give your best content and be transparent. The more real you are with your audience and the more value you bring the more likely the are to engage.
- Have fun with it! Being the energy and engage your audience.
- Vary the speed in which you talk and the amount of pauses. Even though when you are recording you will be talking to wall, make your podcast feel like a conversation.
What is coming in Season 2
We will be aiming to have a guest in each episode so that we can offer expert content and more helpful interviews. We are reaching out to people now and fully trust that this format will be far more fascinating.
Secondly, every time we record a podcast we will broadcast the interview on FB live. This will be far more interactive and interesting as listeners will be able to engage with comments and ask direct questions to the guest. The podcast will be recorded and uploaded onto the various social media platforms.
Connect with Matt Edmundson on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MattEdmundsonCo/) and look out for the events we will create around each podcast.
If you want to be a guest on the show please head on over to https://mattedmundson.com/podcast and apply to be a guest.